A trip to Europe can be an unforgettable experience. You share different customs with natives and get to visit amazing places that are vastly different from your own. However, sometimes the best part of the trip is just returning home. Overcoming jet lag is one thing, but overcoming any other frustrations during your time away from home can feel like a daunting task that must be accomplished before you ever leave again! Luckily, these ten tips will make sure you’re well-prepared for anything traveling in Europe can throw at you.
1. Buy a phone card or SIM card– Having your own phone and a way to access the internet will save you time and money during any trip to Europe. Researching things like transportation and prices can easily be done online before you even leave. You want something that gives you an unlimited data plan as well, or at least one with plenty of time on it.
2. Have a spare charger/adapter– In all honesty, the amount of adaptors and chargers in Europe can go from cheap and cheesy, to expensive and unnecessary. However, it is always nice to have one or two spare ones right by your bedside for nights when you forgot to charge your phone before going out. This way you always have a backup for when the one you’re using dies on you.
3. Research areas of interest during your trip– This is especially important for anyone who wants to visit multiple countries during their trip. Planning ahead is the best way to find the best things to do and what to see during your time in Europe. Not only will you get a better understanding of where you are in any given city, but you’ll have a list of things to check out when you get there that will help make your trip all the more enjoyable!
4. Make a packing list– It’s always hard waiting until the last minute to pack, so why not make it easy? Making a checklist is a great way to ensure you don’t forget anything and that nothing gets broken along the way. If your bag doesn’t fit on every flight or train, try putting items like toiletries and new clothes in smaller bags or containers instead. This way they’re easy to carry without adding a lot of space to your bag.
5. Get an international calling plan– Taking advantage of international calling plans can be a huge money-saver when traveling in Europe. It’s not hard to call your family and friends back home if you already have their number stored as “speed dial” on your phone, but if you need help finding the right plan for you, take a look at websites like NoisyPlanet which compare the different plans out there for you!
6. Research transportation options before making reservations– Planning ahead is key when traveling in Europe. It’s not only annoying to wait in long lines, but you also could miss your ride or train if you don’t arrive when it’s convenient for you. If you can figure out the transportation options available to you and make reservations in advance, it can save a lot of stress and hassle on your trip!
7. Keep copies of your travel documents– This is good advice for any trip, but even more essential when traveling in Europe. Keeping copies of all your travel documents like tickets, passport, ID cards and tickets in separate places can be very handy in case your wallet is stolen or lost or if any other mishaps happen during your adventure abroad!
8. Research common scams– You should always be wary when traveling, but especially in unfamiliar places. Learning about the most common scams that people have been tricked by in Europe is usually enough to steer you clear of them, but if not don’t be afraid to ask around and ask questions!
9. Be sure all prescription medications are legitimate– This is a very important tip for those who are traveling to a different country and taking prescription medication. A lot of medications that are over the counter here in America may not be available even with a doctor’s prescription in other countries. It’s best to double check with your family doctor before you go so you know what you’ll need!
10. Take advantage of free time– Free time is always a nice thing to have, especially when traveling. However, it’s even better if you can use it in an effective way that makes the most of your vacation! Try visiting museums or ancient ruins during off-hours, or attend events that don’t require tickets! You’ll be able to enjoy your trip even more by getting more out of it than just sights to see and things to do!
Whether you’re traveling in Europe with a group or going alone, there are many things you will want to consider beforehand. It helps if you plan ahead and research as much as possible before making any reservations.
Destinations to Consider When Planning a Trip
Europe is a continent of many countries, many cultures, and a lot of history. It’s no surprise that so many travelers want to visit this beautiful place. But where in Europe should you go? Which country has the best food? Is there a country you should avoid? Thankfully, we’ve put together this list with 17 destinations in this blog post under best travel blog 2021 that are sure to make your trip unforgettable!
1. Athens – This amazing city has something for everyone – from galleries in Plaka to its famous Acropolis. But if you want a taste of traditional Greece, head out to places like Hydra or Zante- both little towns with plenty of good food and wine!
2. Paris – This is one of the most amazing cities in all of Europe. So much art, history and romance are crammed into a small area. And the food! There’s nothing like seafood and steak in the city that never sleeps!
3. Hamburg – The second largest city in Germany has its unique charm that makes it one of our favorites. It’s a mix of grittiness and a certain comfy feel that you can’t quite put your finger on. And you’ll love the food! If you’ve never tried it before, try some delicious pea soup with shrimp or squid- some local favorites!
4. Edinburgh – This Scottish city is the capital of culture. Between galleries, museums, and the Festival Fringe, there’s always something to do in this beautiful city. But when you’re ready for some down time, head out to Leith and enjoy the great seafood!
5. Rome – The Eternal City is full of amazing attractions- from the Colosseum to the Vatican City. But when you’ve seen all that you want to see (and who can blame you?), make sure you have plenty of energy saved up for great nightlife and delicious food!
6. Dublin – The Irish capital is full of friendly people, amazing pubs, and some of the best food you’ll find on the trip! And the nightlife here is pretty fun too!
7. Krakow – This city is filled with great museums, fantastic restaurants and plenty of good beer. And if you’re looking for a party, head to one of the many clubs in Kazimierz.
8. Bath – This gorgeous city is famous for its Roman baths- a stunning site that tells of a long history. But along with this rich history, there’s some great shopping (with plenty of outlets), as well as delicious food and tons of spas!
9. Edinburgh – This Scottish city is the capital of culture . Between galleries, museums, and the Festival Fringe, there’s always something to do in this beautiful city. But when you’re ready for some down time, head out to Leith and enjoy the great seafood!
10. Barcelona – The city is full of amazing architecture, a fun Mediterranean atmosphere and some of the best tapas in all of Europe. But if you’re looking for something more while visiting Barcelona, head out to Sitges- a picturesque town that’s home to some great bars and restaurants!
11. Prague – This historical city has everything from fun pubs to gorgeous castles. And with a city this old, there’s plenty of underground passageways to explore!
12. Rome – The Eternal City is full of amazing attractions – from the Colosseum to the Vatican City. But when you’ve seen all that you want to see (and who can blame you?), make sure you have plenty of energy saved up for great nightlife and delicious food!
13. Rome – The Eternal City is full of amazing attractions- from the Colosseum to the Vatican City. But when you’ve seen all that you want to see (and who can blame you?), make sure you have plenty of energy saved up for great nightlife and delicious food!
14. Amsterdam – This city is filled with a wide variety of attractions, including everything the art lover could want. But if you’re looking for something more, check out some of the great pubs in the red light district or enjoy a delicious meal at one of its many restaurants!
15. Prague – This historical city has everything from fun pubs to gorgeous castles. And with a city this old, there’s plenty of underground passageways to explore!
16. Rome – The Eternal City is full of amazing attractions- from the Colosseum to the Vatican City. But when you’ve seen all that you want to see (and who can blame you?), make sure you have plenty of energy saved up for great nightlife and delicious food!
17. Macedonia – With a small population, relatively inexpensive transport and a wealth of nature, this country is full of great sights and amazing experiences. And the food? Get some raki- the delicious Macedonian spirit made with anise!
Have fun planning your trip- we hope it’s just as amazing as ours!